The overwhelming majority of Campus Den users are trustworthy.
To date, there have been no violent crimes reported in connection with any transactions facilitated through Campus Den. Please help us keep it that way.
It is very important that you take the same precautions online that you would would when selling/purchasing items from your campus’ physical bulletin board.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place at your college campus
- Do not meet in a secluded place or invite strangers into your home
- Take extra precaution when buying/selling high valued items
- Tell a friend or family member where you’re going
- Bring your cell phone if you have one
- Consider having a friend accompany you
- Trust your instincts
Taking these precautions helps will help keep Campus Den a safe place to initiate transactions.
For more information about personal safety, check out these resources:
Avoid Scams and Fraud
You can sidestep scammers by following these intuitive rules:
- DEAL LOCALLY AND ON CAMPUS WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON AND SEE EVERY DAY- follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts on Campus Den.
- NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service – anyone who asks you to do so is almost always a scammer.
- FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fraud is discovered weeks later.
- CAMPUS DEN IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer “buyer protection” or “seller certification.”
- NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
- AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that SCAMMERS OFTEN “GUARANTEE” TRANSACTIONS.
- DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN – in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.
- DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT CHECKS OR BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR A JOB OR FOR HOUSING UNTIL YOU HAVE MET THE INTERVIEWER OR LANDLORD/AGENT IN PERSON.